Would you like to support our mission to save and heal lives through organ, eye and tissue donation? It can be as simple as celebrating our national observances with your loved ones and/or organization! Here are a few important dates to add to your calendar:
- National Donor Day (2/14/23)- National Donor Day focuses on all types of donations (organ, eye, tissue, blood, platelets and marrow). It’s also a day to appreciate heroic donors, courageous families, living donors, those who have passed away waiting and transplant recipients.
- National Kidney Month (March)- National Kidney Month raises awareness about better kidney care. There are an estimated 37 million people in the United States who have chronic kidney disease (CKD) and as many as nine out of ten people aren’t aware that they have it. Many Americans who suffer from diabetes or high blood pressure aren’t aware of their higher risk.
- National Donate Life Month (April)- National Donate Life Month (NDLM) features an entire month of activities to encourage Americans to register as organ, eye and tissue donors, honors those that have saved and healed lives through the gift of donation, celebrates those who have received the gift, and shares hope for those waiting.
- Donate Life Living Donor Day (4/5/23)- Join us as we thank living donors for their generosity!
- Blue & Green Spirit Week (4/8-4/14/23)- A fun way to get ready for National Donate Life Blue & Green Day, this spirit week has a special theme which includes recognizing donors, volunteers and healthcare heroes while giving hope to those waiting and engaging the public in fun ‘at-home’ activities. Stay tuned here!
- National Donate Life Blue & Green Day (4/14/23)- On National Donate Life Blue & Green Day, everyone is encouraged to wear blue and green. This shares the ‘Donate Life’ message and promotes the importance of registering as a donor.
- National Pediatric Transplant Week (4/23-4/29/23)- National Pediatric Transplant Week focuses on ending the pediatric transplant waiting list. Donor families whose children saved and healed lives through donation are honored, and recipient families share their gratitude for their children’s heroes.
- National Multicultural Donor Awareness Month (August)- National Multicultural Donor Awareness Month (NMDAM) was developed to share our lifesaving and healing message with diverse communities by creating a positive culture for organ, eye, and tissue donation.
- National DMV Appreciation Month (September)- Our Nevada DMV partnership remains the primary source of donor registrations (over 99% come from their offices), making their staff members the frontline heroes of our mission. Nationally, they’ve helped register more than 140 million donors. It's the perfect time for our community to say, ‘thank you,’ and show appreciation to DMV partners across the state.
- Eye Donation Month (November)- Eye Donation Month was created by the Eye Bank Association of America (EBAA) to celebrate the gift of sight and raise awareness about corneal donation and transplantation. Join us as we celebrate the new perspective on life that corneal transplant recipients experience after having their sight restored and the change in viewpoint donor families express when the pain of a loved one’s death is given a new meaning.
We also host events to bring awareness to organ, eye and tissue donation in our community! Here is a list:
- NASCAR (Handprints of Hope)
- When: 3/3/23 through 3/5/23
- Where: Las Vegas Motorspeedway (7000 N Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115)
- Why: Each year, Nevada Donor Network proudly honors heroic donors on driver Joey Gase's vehicle during NASCAR Weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. We also invite courageous families and our supporters to submit a "Message of Hope" to be placed on his car! You can submit your message of hope here!
- When: 4/29/2023
- Where: Exploration Peak Park (9275 S. Buffalo Drive Las Vegas, NV 89178)
- Why: Nevada Donor Network’s annual fun run/walk, Hope Glows, is unlike anything you've experienced! In honor of National Donate Life Month (April), GLOW WITH US to celebrate the lifesaving and healing gift that organ, eye and tissue donation is in our community! Learn more information here.
- When: 11/1/2023 and 11/2/2023
- Where: Winchester Cultural Center 3130 S. McLeod Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89121
- Why: Join Nevada Donor Newtork as we honor your loved ones during Dia de los Muertos (aka Day of the Dead). Over the two days, families and friends come together to pay respect to their donor heroes. Families will create ofrendas, which are small alters that honor their loved one’s memory. These ofrendas usually contain photos, candles, marigolds and offerings, such as the person's favorite food or items of significance. It’s said that ofrendas guide spirits to those that they love. Submit your loved one here!